Simple Semifreddo with Fresh Farm Strawberries, Basil & Balsamico
Like a frozen cheesecake, sweetened with local honey and fresh berries.
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup local honey
- 1 seeds from fresh vanilla bean
- Line loaf or spring-form pan with plastic wrap–be sure to use enough to protect the semifreddo in the freezer and prevent it from getting stuck in the mold.
- Combine ricotta, mascarpone, honey and vanilla and mix until smooth in food processor or stand mixer.Whip heavy cream to heavy peaks and fold in the ricotta mixture until fully combined.
- Fill pan with the whipped cream mixture and gently smooth the top. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight or at least 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove semifreddo from the freezer and allow it to thaw slightly, 10-15 minutes, to make sure it has a true “semi-frozen” texture.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the semifreddo into slices, running the knife under hot water in between slices. Garnish the semifreddo with fresh strawberries, basil leaves, and balsamic vinegar to taste.