Instant Pot Risotto with Roasted Acorn Squash
Both roasting squash in the oven and preparing risotto on the stove can be lengthy kitchen tasks, so we opt for an Instant Pot to and give our arm the night off from stirring!
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time1 hr
- Total Time1 hr 10 min
- 1 medium or large acorn squash
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 shallot or medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 to 8 leaves berggarten sage, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for sprinkling
For the Squash
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Halve acorn squash from stem to tip, then remove seeds and stringy bits. Brush with olive oil. Place cut-side down on lined baking sheet. Roast 35 minutes. Remove from oven. When cool enough to handle, slip off skin.
For the Risotto
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When hot, add 1tablespoon butter. When melted, add onion. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, cook about 30 seconds, continuing to stir.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and rice; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute to toast the rice. Add stock, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Turn off sauté setting. Secure lid and close Instant Pot. Enable manual cooking. Set timer on Instant Pot for 7 minutes.
- Add 1tablespoon butter to skillet. Melt on medium heat. Add sage leaves. Fry until leaves turn dark green and edges start to curl, about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer from skillet to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon. Reserve the browned butter.
- After the 7-minute cook time, wait 10 minutes before doing manual release of pressure. Remove lid. Stir in acorn squash, and salt and pepper.
- Serve with crispy fried sage, a drizzle of browned butter, and sprinkling of Parmigiano-Reggiano.