Delicious Derby Day Double Mint Julep
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time15 min
For Mint Simple Syrup
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Cup sugar
- ½ Cup fresh mint leaves
For the Mint Julep
- 8 to 10 mint leaves
- Crushed Ice
- 3 oz bourbon
- ½ oz Fresh Mint Simple Syrup (see recipe below)
- Dash of bitters, for garnish (we use Fee Brothers
- Old Fashioned Aromatic Bitters.)
- 1 or 2 mint sprigs, for garnish
Mint Simple Syrup
- Bring water and sugar to just barely a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking to dissolve the sugar.
- Add mint leaves, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook—without stirring—for about 10 minutes, or just until the mixture is slightly reduced.
- Remove from heat and let steep until cooled to room temperature.
- Discard mint leaves.
- Store in a covered glass jar.
If refrigerated, may be used for up to six months.
Double Mint Juleps
- Place mint leaves in the bottom of a julep cup and muddle gently to extract the oils.
- Fill the cup three-quarters with crushed ice.
- Add the bourbon and fresh mint simple syrup.
- Stir until the cup is frosted on the outside.
- Mound more crushed ice on top to form an ice dome, and garnish with a dash of bitters and mint sprigs.
- Serve with a straw for sipping and stirring.