These savory pancakes are perfect for Hanukkah or just when you've got potatoes sitting around.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and grated
- 1 white onion quartered and sliced thin
- 1½ cup matzo meal
- 1 cup fresh chives chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- canola oil for frying
- Peel and grate potatoes. Soak and strain potatoes 2-3 times until water runs clear. Combine potatoes and onions then mix in matzo meal and chives. Season with salt and pepper. Add eggs to potato mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Take a golf-ball sized scoop of the latke mixture, flatten it between the palms of your hands and place in the skillet.
- Cook latkes until they are crispy and brown but still soft in the middle, approximately 3 minutes on each side. Remove latkes from the pan and place on a paper towel or grocery bag to absorb excess oil before serving. Season with salt to taste.
- Work in batches so as not to crowd the skillet, adding additional oil as needed. Latkes can be placed on a baking sheet and held in the oven on low until ready to serve.
- Recipe yields approximately 24 small latkes or 12 larger pancakes. Serve with apple sauce and sour cream.